Sunday, April 18, 2010

It's Official!


So I have kind of been putting it off but I should probably post about the fact that we are moving across the country in a short two months!! After much fasting and prayer we have decided to move to Kirksville, Missouri. Never heard of it? Neither had I. It is a town of less than 20,000 about 3 hours from St. Louis. While I am very sad to be leaving family and the comforts of familiarity, there are some reasons that I am excited...(and I'm really trying my best to focus on these)

-Kirksville is only 2 hours away from Nauvoo (me and Ty have never been!)

-We get to live in a house!

-The house has 3 bedrooms and that means me and Ty will finally have our own room, Saylor will have a room and we will even have an extra bedroom to use as a craft room/play room. After living in a one bedroom basement apt. for 4 years it's gonna feel huge!

-The house has a big kitchen which includes a dishwasher! (Washing dishes is so my least favorite chore)

-The house has a huge backyard-a whole acre!! They provide us with a riding lawn mower to mow it which means it will take some time but it also means endless hours of badmitton, ultimate frisbee, football, barbequing, volleyball or whatever else our hearts desire

-The house also has a big living/dining room area, a washer and dryer and a garage (as you can tell the house is a lot of what we are excited about)

-Students and their families get free passes to the Aquatic Center which has an indoor and outdoor pool and is in walking distance from our house-The wives of the med students have a club that does things like crafts, cooking, working out (if you spend one day watching kids, someone will watch yours so you can work out 4 days a week) and they just do fun stuff to stay busy while their husbands study all day and night

-Ty's two good friends also got into ATSU so we will at least know a few people

-Tyler and I have never lived away from family so it will be a chance to meet new people and really rely on each other. It will be an adventure!

A few of the things I'm not so excited about...

-It is a 17 hour drive to visit Ty's family and 22 hour drive to visit mine :(

-The closest normal airport is 3 hours away from us so even flying home will be kind of tough not to mention expensive

-The closest mall is an hour and a half away...Kirksville has a Wal-Mart and a JCPenney, guess I'll have to start online shopping

-Kirksville has occasional tornadoes and ice storms, scary!

It's still not really real to me that we are actually leaving. I hated Utah for a while after we moved here and now I love it. So, I decided to just love Kirksville from the beginning because everyone says you don't want to move there but by the time you graduate you don't want to leave. I'm going to try so very hard to have a good attitude, love it and have fun and enjoy this experience in life. I have to do it anyway so why not just be happy and enjoy it? Much easier said than done I know but when else do you have a chance to move somewhere totally unfamiliar and new and meet people you never would have had the chance to meet? I did always want to serve a mission so maybe this will be my own little mission-type experience.

4 comments:

Tyson and Courtney said...

Congrats on making a big decision. This will be such an exciting adventure, I remember feeling so many of the same feelings you mentioned when we moved to San Fran. Even though it was so hard at first to leave family and friends, I loved moving away and building our own little family. Our marriage became so much stronger because of it! You will make some dear friends out there and I'm sure you'll love it before you know it! When do you move? Hopefully I can catch you in Boise or Utah this summer before you leave!

Jessica said...

Yeah! Congrats on the big decision! It sounds like there are a lot of fun things to look forward to! You guys will have so much fun!

Dal & KT said...

Congrats!! I struggled moving across the country too, but I am really loving it! Beautiful and different scenery and wonderful people to rely on when Dallas is working. You guys are going to love it. I am so excited for you!

Jandee said...

Chelsea and Tyler congrats on being accepted into med. school and finding a place to live, these are both very exciting events (I don't know if you call them events but huge steps). We made such great friends during med. school, it will be a very fun time only little stressful! have fun, we will be in Utah the first couple of weeks in June before heading out to Gainesville, FL to finish up residency in anesthesiology. It would be fun to see you guys. - Jandee